Winchester
National Cemetery
main page

 

Winchester National Cemetery

Winchester National Cemetery is on the east side of Winchester, Virginia. It is about 3/4 mile east of the center of town and one mile west of exit 315 of Interstate 81 on National Avenue, Virginia Route 7. (39.184951° N, 78.156291° W; map)

 

A short driveway leads through the entry gate on the north side of the cemetery to a very small parking area next to the superintendant's lodge. Almost five acres are bordered by a stone wall centered around a tall flag pole. Over 5,500 veterans are buried here.

 

The first burials were in 1862. The cemetery was dedicated as a national cemetery on April 8, 1866 although it was not until December of 1870 that the owner of the land, Jacob Baker, was paid $1,500 and the deed was transferred to the U.S. Government.

 

The original burials consisted of reinterments from battlefields around the Shenandoah Valley and were organized by state. One section of 2,338 burials is for unknown Union soldiers. Burials continued until 1969.

 

Over a dozen monuments commemorate states or units whose men fought in the Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley. (click the icon of the monument on the map or choose from the menu at left to see more about it)

 

The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.

 

Stonewall Confederate Cemetery is just across Woodstock Lane to the south.





About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve Hawks