Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War


Winchester

First Battle of Winchester
(Circle Tour)

Two markers on the First Battle of Winchester consisting of text and an accompanying map are on the southwest side of Winchester, Virginia. They were erected by the Virginia Civil War Commission in 1964.

 

Location and Directions

The markers are on the northwest corner of Cedar Creek Grade (Weems Lane) and Valley Avenue (U.S. 11), in front of the First Citizen's Bank. (39.16255° N, 78.1845° W; see map)

 

Text from the markers:

 

First Battle of Winchester

***
May 25, 1862

 

General Stonewall Jackson with 16,000 Confederates defeated General N.P. Banks and 6,000 Federals. On May 24, at Middletown, 12 miles South, Jackson attacked Banks’ army withdrawing toward Winchester, cutting off the rear guard and capturing or destroying a large number of wagons. Jackson launched his attack on Winchester at 5 a.m. May 25. Contesting this thrust was Colonel George Gordon’s 3rd Brigade. General Dick Taylor’s Louisiana Brigade, reinforced by the 10th and 23rd Virginia, succeeded in flanking Gordon on the west, while troops of Jackson’s division pressed Gordon’s center and left. General R.S. Ewell on the southeast approaches to Winchester saw his first attack repulsed. Calling up his reserves, Ewell moved against Colonel D. Donnelly’s Union Brigade. All Federal positions were taken by 8 a.m. and Banks’ army fled North through town. Confederate pursuit was hindered by lack of Cavalry.

Circle Tour markers on the First Battle of Winchester on the southwest side of Winchester, Virginia.
(above and below) Circle Tour markers on the First Battle of Winchester on the southwest side of Winchester, Virginia.

Circle Tour markers on the First Battle of Winchester on the southwest side of Winchester, Virginia.





About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve Hawks