Historical markers at
Fort Collier



Fort Collier

Fort Collier is on the north side of Winchester, Virginia, just north of the intersection of the Valley Pike (U.S. 11) and Brooke Road. (39.20156° N, 78.15464° W; map)

 

The fort was begun in 1861, shorthly after Harpers Ferry was evacuated and Winchester became the Confederacy's forward line of defence in the Shenandoah Valley. The earthworks were placed to guard against Union attacks down the main road and railroad coming into town from the north. They played little role in the campaigns of 1862 and 1863, when Confederate forces took the city from the south and west from its Union defenders.

 

In 1864 Fort Collier served as the anchor for Confederate General Jubal Early's left flank in the Third Battle of Winchester. It was overrun at the end of the battle in one of the great cavalry charges of the Civil War.

 

In 2002 the Fort Collier Civil War Center was created on ten acres surrounding the earthworks. Interpretive markers tell the story of the fort and the events around it.

 

To see more about a marker click an icon on the map or choose from the menu at left.


 

 





About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve Hawks