Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War

New Market

The Bushong Farm

A wayside marker for the Bushong Farm is in the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park north of New Market, Virginia. The Bushong farmhouse dates to the battle, although the outbuildings have been restored.

 

How to get there

The marker is on the west side of the George R. Collins Parkway in front of the front entrance (south side) of the Bushong farmhouse. The Collins Parkway can be reached from Old Cross Road at New Market immediately to the west of Interestate 81 exit 178. (38.663169° N, 78.668145° W; see map)

 

Text from the marker

 

The Bushong Farm

Caught in the Crossfire

 

On June 22, 1791, Henry Bushong patented a 260-acre tract in Shenandoah County that would be home for several generations of his descendants. Henry’s son, Jacob married Sarah Strickler in 1818. They took up residence in a four-room log house and began a family that would grow to include four boys and two girls.

 

In 1825 Jacob Bushong built this vernacular Federal-style home. An 1852 expansion added double porches attached on the north end to provide extra room for the growing family. The Bushongs raised wheat, oats, cattle, hogs, and horses. Wheelwright and blacksmith shops provided farm implements for the Bushongs and other area families. The family worked alongside three African American slaves on the property—an unmarried man, a woman named Mary, and a young boy, Israel.

 

On May 15, 1864 seven family members took refuge in their sturdy cellar as the Battle of New Market raged across their farm. Peering through the windows, they saw VMI cadets pass on the east and west sides of the house as they marched to join the Confederate battle line. After the battle the house and barn, like most buildings in and around New Market, served as a hospital.

 

From the Sidebar:

George R. Collins
In the early 1940s the Bushong family sold the farm to Mr. and Mrs. Everette Croxton, who in turn sold it in 1944 to George Randall Collins, VMI Class of 1911. At his death in 1964, Mr. Collins bequeathed the Bushong Farm and a $3 million operating endowment to VMI “to be used as a trust to perpetuate and maintain as a Memorial of the Battle of New Market.”



Bushong_Farm-CU-Px.php
(above) Wayside marker for the Bushong Farm on the Civil War battlefield of New Market, Virginia (see enlargement)
(below) The east side of the Bushong Farm. The marker is on the far side of the main door on the left of the photo. (see enlargement)

Historical marker for the Action of Rutherford's Farm northeast of Winchester, Virginia.
(below) The outbuildings behind the Bushong farhouse have been restored to their 1864 appearance. (see enlargement)
Historical marker for the Action of Rutherford's Farm northeast of Winchester, Virginia.

George R. Collins, who bequeathed the Bushong farm to the Virginia Military Academy to become the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park
George R. Collins, who bequeathed the Bushong farm to the Virginia Military Academy to become the New Market Battlefield State Historical Park

About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve Hawks