Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War

New Market

54th Pennsylvania
Infantry Regiment

The monumet to the 54th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment is just north of New Market, Virginia. It was erected on October 25, 1905. A brass tablet beneath the monument explains the monument's rededication in 1984 (see below).

 

The monument is next to the Bloody Cedars wayside marker, which tells the story of the 54th Pennsylvania at New Market, where they suffered the second-highest regimental loss in the battle.

 

How to get there

The marker is on the north side of New Market, Virginia on the west side of the Valley Pike (U.S. 11). It can either be reached from the Valley Pike or by a foot trail from the battlefield park which passes under the Interstate.

 

Location. 38.665426° N, 78.661938 W°; see map.

 

Text from the marker

 

Erected

to the memory
of the heroic dead
of the 54th Regt.
Pa. Vet. Vol. Infty.
who gave their lives
in defence of their
country

 

1861–1865.

 

From the brass tablet at the base of the monument:

 

At ceremonies conducted 16 September 1984,
title to this monument was transferred from
the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to the New
Market Battlefield Park.
The monument was
originally dedicated on 25 October 1905 to the
men of the 54th Pennsylvania Infantry. It now
serves as a memorial to all who fought at the
Battle of New Market on 15 May 1864.

 





Historical marker for the Action of Rutherford's Farm northeast of Winchester, Virginia.
(above) Monument to the 54th Pennsylvania Infantry on the New Market Batlefield.
The Bloody Cedars wayside marker on the right tells the regiment's story.
(below) Brass tablet at the foot of the 54th Pennsylvania monument






About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve Hawks