Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War

Mount Jackson

Mt. Jackson General Hospital, CSA

A wayside marker on the Civil War Mount Jackson General Hospital is in Mount Jackson, Virginia. It was erected in 2010 by Civil War Trails.

 

The marker is next to the A66 The Confederate Hospital Virginia historical marker.

 

Location and directions

The marker is across the street from Our Soldiers' Cemetery on the north side of Mount Jackson. The marker is on the the east side of the Valley Pike (U.S. 11) about 0.4 mille south of Mount Jackson Road. (38.75488° N, 78.63375° W. see map)

 

Text from the marker

 

Mt. Jackson General Hospital, CSA

***

Shenandoah at War


— Valley Campaigns —

 

In September 1861, the Confederate Medical Department built a large general hospital on this site because Mt. Jackson was the western terminus of the Manassas Gap Railroad which provided access to northern Virginia battlefields. Dr. Andrew Russell Meem, a Shenandoah County resident who was a graduate of Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania Medical College, was Surgeon-in-Charge. He resided at Harrison House, the home of local businessman Col. Levi Rinker, who owned the hospital site and a plot across the Valley Turnpike, "Our Soldiers' Cemetery," to bury those who died here.

 

The hospital consisted of three two-story buildings, each "a hundred and fifty feet in length, perfectly ventilated, and yet warm," and several small support structures. Accommodating 500 sick and wounded Confederates at a time, it remained in continuous service until the end of hostilities, except for six months in 1862. Meem, two assistant surgeons (contract physicians), five stewards, ten nurses, eight cooks, and five laundresses comprised the staff. The buildings were dismantled aft the war for the use of U.S. Army forces stationed at Rude's Hill during Reconstruction.

 

In February 1865, after falling ill, Meem was admitted to Harrisonburg General Hospital where he died at age 41. His wife, Ann Jordan Meem, had assisted him at the the Mt. Jackson hospital and in October 1861 organized the Ladies' Soldiers and Aid Organization to provide clothing, food and supplies. The Association held one of the earliest Confederate Memorial Day services at "Our Soldiers' Cemetery" on May 15, 1866.

Wayside marker on the Civil War Mount Jackson General Hospital
(above) Wayside marker on the Civil War Mount Jackson General Hospital


Confederate surgeon's kit used in the Shenandoah Valley.   Courtesy Virginia Military Institute

Confederate surgeon's kit used in the Shenandoah Valley.

Courtesy Virginia Military Institute

 

Closeups of two insets from the marker:  Mt. Jackson General Hospital, Oct. 7, 1864, by James E. Taylor, artist for Frank Leslie's Illustrated -and-   Order appointing Dr. Andrew H. Meem Surgeon-in-Charge, Mt. Jackson General Hospital.

Closeups of two insets from the marker:

Mt. Jackson General Hospital, Oct. 7, 1864, by James E. Taylor, artist for Frank Leslie's Illustrated - and -

Order appointing Dr. Andrew H. Meem Surgeon-in-Charge, Mt. Jackson General Hospital.





About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve Hawks