Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War

Mount Jackson

The Confederate Hospital A66

A historical marker for The Confederate Hospital in Mount Jackson is on the main street of Mount Jackson, Virginia. A bronze bas-relief of the hospital as it appeared during the war is beside the marker.

 

The marker is next to the Mt. Jackson General Hospital, CSA wayside marker.

 

Location and directions

The marker is across the street from Our Soldiers' Cemetery on the north side of Mount Jackson. The marker is on the the east side of the Valley Pike (U.S. 11) about 0.4 mille south of Mount Jackson Road.

(38.75488° N, 78.63375° W; see map).

 

Text from the marker

 

A66
The Confederate Hospital

---

The Confederate hospital was built here under
the direction of Dr. Andrew Russell Meem, by
order of the Confederate Medical Department in
Sept. 1861. The hospital consisted of three two-story
buildings, each 150 feet long, accommodating 500
patients. At the end of the war, the 192nd Ohio
Volunteer Militia tore down the hospital and
used the lumber to construct a large military
installation that included a courthouse, guardhouse,
gallows, and ballroom on Rude’s Hill, three miles
south of Mount Jackson. Federal ocupation
forces used these structures throughout the
Reconstruction period. The cemetery, which was
established directly across the Valley Pike in
1861, was dedicated in 1866.


Erected 1998 by the Department of Historic Resources.

 



Historical marker for The Confederate Hospital in Mount Jackson, Virginia
(above) Historical marker for The Confederate Hospital in Mount Jackson, Virginia.
(below) Bronze bas-relief of the Confederate Hospital
Bronze bas-relief of the Confederate Hospital in Mount Jackson, Virginia





About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve Hawks