Stone Sentinels, battlefield monuments of the American Civil War

Front Royal

Battle of Front Royal
Circle Tour Marker

A set of markers for the Civil War Battle of Front Royal was erected in 1964 on the north bank of the North Branch of the Shenandoah River by the Virginia Civil War Commission.

 

The Circle Tour markers stand beside two historical markers erected by the State of Virginia, Guard Hill Engagement J11 and Execution of Mosby's Men J9.

 

Location and directions

The markers are north of Front Royal, north of the bridges over the Shenandoah River on the west side of Winchester Road (U.S. 340 & 522) just north of the intersection with Guard Hill Road/Riverton Road.

(38.953095 N, 78.200153 W; see map)

 

Text from the marker

 

Battle of Front Royal

May 23, 1862

 

Confederate Army of 16,000 under General Stonewall Jackson overwhelmed a Federal outpost of 1,000 under Colonel John R. Kenly. The Confederates approached Front Royal undetected from southwest on the afternoon of May 23. Spy Belle Boyd gave the advance units of Ewell's division information on Federal positions and the Confederate 1st Maryland Regiment of Ewell's Division led the attack against Kenly's Federal 1st Maryland. After the opening assault the Federals took an artillery position on the heights just north of the rivers. Confederates crossed the river bridges before Federals could destroy them. Outnumbered, the Federals retreated toward Winchester. Colonel T.S. Flournoy's cavalry pursued and smashed Kenly's command in a classic charge at Cedarville. Federal Army of 6,500 under Banks at Strasburg, being outflanked, withdrew northeast on Valley Pike May 24.

Erected in 1964 by Virginia Civil War Commission.

Front_Royal_Circle_Tour-Px.php(above) Battle of Front Royal Circle Tour Marker (see enlargement)
(below) Front Royal Circle Tour Map (see enlargement)
Front_Royal_Circle_Tourmap-Px.php






About the Author • ©2007-2014 Steve Hawks